[Web4lib] 800x600 Browser Resolution

Kevin.Cullen at UCHSC.edu Kevin.Cullen at UCHSC.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:00:17 EDT 2006

I would argue that wide-screen monitors are becoming an argument in
favor of fixed-width layouts. On my 21" 1680 x 1050 LCD monitor, a Web
site set to 80%-100% width is so wide that the text is unreadable.
Granted, I don't normally have my browser window maximized on that
monitor, but some people might.

Research has shown that the optimal width of text is 3.5 to 10 inches*
(8.9 to 25.4cm). Anything longer is too hard to read. In an age when
monitors are getting wider, and people are running two windows side by
side, we can't make any presumptions about the width of their browser
windows. On my monitor, a line of text could be as much as 48cm (18.9
inches) long. That's way too much.

Think about broadsheet newspapers: They put text content in relatively
narrow columns. Images are wider. Newspaper readers can adjust their
width by folding the paper, and still be able to read the content
reasonably well. Web designers should aim for the same.

* See this link: http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/nov02.asp

- Kevin Cullen
  Denison Memorial Library - UCDHSC
  kevin.cullen at uchsc.edu