[Web4lib] managing colour printing by the public

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Fri Apr 28 09:44:39 EDT 2006

John,

One solution would be to have two printers available for printing -- one being
your new color printer and the other being a plain B&W. Make the B&W the
default printer, but have the color also available so that people wanting to
use it can select it from the print dialog box. That way you are less likely to
have people printing in color by mistake. You can even put the price of the
copies in the printer name so that they will know what they are getting into
when they select a printer.

We charge 10 cents for B&W copies and 25 for color at our library, but have
never done any kind of cost study. I'd be interested to learn if someone has.

Bill Teschek
Assistant Director
Lane Memorial Library
2 Academy Ave.