[Web4lib] Library statistics/assessment websites

Carole Pilkinton Pilkinton.10 at nd.edu
Sun Apr 23 12:20:38 EDT 2006

Colleagues,

Our library is in the early stages of planning a website which will
pull together the various statisitical reports produced by departments that
may be buried in department reports or spread across a variety of
department and committee webpages, including summary collection and
expenditure trends, etc. User surveys regarding library services and
collections would also be good candidates for such a project.

I'm aware of two such websites by university libraries--U Virginia,the
gold standard, and also a very nice site (actually two) by U Maryland
Libraries.
University of Virginia
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/mis/
<>University of Maryland Libraries MIS Dept
http://www.lib.umd.edu/CLMD/SERIALS/aboutjnlstats.html
http://www.lib.umd.edu/PASD/MIS/index.html

I've seen several other libraries which post LibQual survey results
and
analyses.

Has your library produced a similar statistics for
collections/services
website? If so, can you share the link, or is it available only on an
Intranet?
Following that thought--I'm hoping you can share your thinking about
making these statistics and reports publicly available rather than
limiting access to the university or even the library. We are
currently trying to decide whether there are any convincing reasons to lock down
these statistics. Some of them are a bit sensitive since they include
groups of expenditures, but these are often available to others
through ARL, ACRL and other reporting organizations anyway. Of course it will
be a policy decision by library management in the end, but they might
well be interested in how others have thought about this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this--or pointing me to
articles that may have discussed this kind of project, or other websites you may know about.

Carole

--
Carole Pilkinton
Electronic Resources Librarian