[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/Peer Review limiting

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Tue Apr 18 14:24:15 EDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Dale Askey wrote:

> Besides, if you have a good link resolver, why limit to full text
> results? Just slap a link resolver button on each result, and that
> problem is largely solved.

I disagree strongly with this position. Slapping a link resolver
button on each search result does little to help the user focus on
only content that is available in full-text. Expecting the user to
successively click on a link resolver button for each and every
result, not knowing what they can expect, strikes me as particularly
user-hostile. Realizing this, places like the University of
Rochester, CSU San Marcos, and now soon us at the California Digital
Library, are developing services that will do a lookup to the OpenURL
resolver _before_ putting the search results up, so we can depict
whether an item is available in full-text or not (with a link direct
to the source).

Even better would be to have the ability to limit search results to
full-text resources, but as has been said here that is still
difficult and often out of our hands (vendors need to support it). So
no, the problem is far from solved, at least from the perspective of
good user service.
Roy