[Web4lib] Library Website

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Apr 15 10:37:26 EDT 2006

I'm sure Jon can answer this at least as well as I can, but let me jump in.

Most publicly funded institutions of higher education in the U.S.
technically have a legal obligation [I am not a lawyer!] to make their
web sites comply with Section 508, though there's explicitly no
enforcement provision in that obligation.  Regardless, you'd probably
agree that you have an ethical obligation to make your site accessible
to any of your users who happen to have vision, motor, or cognitive
disabilities, especially when doing so is not very difficult.  Complying
with Section 508 or especially WCAG priority 2 (IMO) goes a long way
toward ensuring that level of accessibility.

If you comply with both the letter and the spirit of the HTML and CSS
specifications, you take advantage of built-in mechanisms that are
likely to make your pages work across browsers and versions; across a
wide range of screen resolutions and window sizes--or lack of windows
altogether in screen readers; and across a wide range of browser
configuration settings (e.g. disabling scripting, as Microsoft
continually recommends for IE users).

When explaining this to your director, do not get thrown off by claims
that standards-compliant web sites are more expensive to create, harder
to maintain, or inherently unattractive.  Compliance needs to be taken
into account at an early stage in the design process, but from that
point on does not add any great burden to creation and maintenance, and
does not restrict any half-way imaginative designer.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu