[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

Chris Stearns stearcs at auburn.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:16:35 EDT 2006

 > Does anybody really think that Google/GBS would ever overtake Amazon
as 'the place to look for books'?

I don't, but then I can remember attending a presentation back in
'97/'98 on various search engines, and there was this new one called
"Google", and I remember saying "That'll never take off. Stupid name."

Guess that's why I'm still slogging away in the basement of the
technological revolution instead of standing on the apex ;-)

Ross Singer wrote:
> Strange.
>

> Because I find that a bit unlikely.
>
> -Ross.
>
> On 4/13/06, K.G. Schneider <kgs at bluehighways.com> wrote:
>>> In a bit of a pre-coffee haze, but wondering....is there a way to save
>>> this kind of search on Google, so it's available when you need it, so
>>> you don't have to remember the secret handshake phrase?  I'm not likely
>>> to use this often, so won't remember it, I'm sure.
>> You can install a toolbar, courtesy of OCLC, but if Google was betting on
>> paper books and real libraries, they'd implement this feature directly in
>> Google itself, not leaving us to provide an add-on. In the same vein,
>> they'd
>> offer library findability from inside Google Book Search. (And if
>> libraries
>> participating in this project had a clue, they would have insisted that
>> this
>> be a prerequisite for participation. How good we are at contributing to
>> our
>> own demise.) If GBS becomes the de facto book finding aid for the body
>> politic (something I don't see as long as the focus is on academic books),
>> we're all hosed. I always worry we're just seeing Phase One from them.
>>
>> It is interesting to see Google experiment with faceting and metadata,
>> after
>> years of promoting search uber alles. I wonder if Ask.com is making them
>> feel any heat?
>>
>> Karen G. Schneider
>> kgs at bluehighways.com

Chris Stearns