[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Tue Apr 11 01:13:13 EDT 2006

Of course, Open WorldCat HAS done exactly what Sara is suggesting.
But I guess you guys are saying nobody but them should do it? I guess
there is a risk of just creating a mess; but, hey, the user can
always restrict their google search to just your domain (if they know
how, a big if).  But I admit , I too am somewhat dubious of exactly
what this would accomplish.

But. Here's a report from Library Journal of an experiment at the
University of Buffalo from 2003 (does that pre-date OpenWorldCat? I
forget), of someone trying to do what we're talking about (although
not necessarily in quite the way Sara is imagining). You could try
emailing Mark Ludwig at the email address given in the article, to
find out what happened with that experiment.

Breaking Through the Invisible Web
Mark Ludwig (netConnect) - January 15, 2003
http://www.libraryjournal.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA266430&publication=libraryjournal

http://tinyurl.com/llapf

--Jonathan