SV: [Web4lib] google & library catalogs

Anders Ericson anders.ericson at norskbibliotekforening.no
Wed Apr 12 07:44:13 EDT 2006

I haven't (yet) read all the replies in this thread, so this may have been
mentioned already, but the Danish library authorities decided in fact this
autumn that they'll let Google "penetrate" their web "union catalogue"
bibliotek.dk (which covers all Danish libraries) and do exactly what Sara
Brownmiller describes.

Someone was concerned about "non-English records" and their "troublesome"
letters. Aren't there any Danish colleagues on the list with the details on
the Danish Google progress?

Because in Danish (and Norwegian - my tongue) we have 3 "odd" letters; æ (an
and an e squeezed together), ø (an o with a slash right through it) and å
(an a with a small circle on top). Which are all in common, daily use (more
than before, actually, since aa (double a) has been replaced by å (the a
with the circle), like in Kirkegaard, who, if he was born today, might have
called himself Kirkegård.

By the way: Danish academic libraries also plan to separate the Danish
"part" of Google Scholar and make it their multi-resource portal; both for
e-documents (open as well as local subscriptions) and library books. And
thus make both Danish research and library resources more available.

Mvh
A n d e r s  E r i c s o n
anders [dot] ericson [at] norskbibliotekforening [dot] no
+47 97775170