[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Tue Apr 11 16:58:22 EDT 2006

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Here are a couple of
other things that get at Sara's question.

- A library consortium in Germany used a unique method to open up their
catalog (~10 million titles) to search engines. In a very brief
nutshell, they exported a subset of RVK subject headings (about 47,000)
to Plone and let Google loose (i.e.- put them on a Web-accessible
server) on the Plone pages. When one of those pages is called from
Google search results, it runs a live query on the catalog and presents
the first 50 or so results that bear that subject heading, with a link
to the remainder. Full details here if your German is up to snuff

http://www.opus-bayern.de/bib-info/volltexte/2005/108/)

or, if not, a sample search where their service comes up number one in
the results

http://www.google.de/search?q=Stabilitaetspolitik

It's very nifty and creative, but the first question when this was
presented at a conference came from Ross Singer's German Doppelgänger
who said, to paraphrase, this sucks. What he meant by that was that for
him, who lives in northern Germany, seeing the library results from
southern Germany was nothing more than search result spamming. Harsh
words, but true, of course. As has been mentioned, ventures such as
OpenWorldCat get around that geographic binding, if only to a degree.

- Another way to do this: buy a Google Search Appliance and index your
own OPAC for local use. We're acquiring just such a box within the next
few weeks and plan to unleash it upon at least a subset of our catalog
(the GSA license allows only 500,000 objects or database lines unless
you buy more) to see how well this works, if at all. I'm optimistic, but
am sure that I'm missing something obvious that will make a hash of it.

Dale