[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Tue Apr 11 15:33:49 EDT 2006

Sara,

Putting your digital collections aside for a second, you might want to
consider whether Google really is the best mechanism for exposing your
own users at the University of Oregon to your collections.

Google is, of course, popular and sexy; and no doubt all of your users
start their research there or in another search engine.

But throwing your catalog records into the Great Big Index Of Stuff is
kind of like your local mom-and-pop supermarket using national
television networks to advertise a sale on oranges.  You won't get as
big a reach advertising in the local newspaper, but focusing your
advertising on people who will actually find it useful and meaningful
can be far more effective.

Given limited budgets and resources, I would personally opt to invest
resources into integrating your collections into whatever learning
management system(s) and/or portal you all have there at the University
of Oregon.  Those systems are *heavily* used by your core audience, and
the current level of integration between library systems and learning
management systems could be greatly improved.

You may not get as many visits as from a high placement in a Google
result set (although most of your records probably won't appear high
enough to be effective anyway), but visits mean nothing unless they
actually result in check-outs.

--Dave

David Walker
Web Development Librarian