[Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

Roger Fenton roger.fenton at llgc.org.uk
Thu Apr 6 03:28:24 EDT 2006

Dear Michele,
This isn't a problem we have, but would it not be possible to rig up
either a card-controlled access to machines, where each user is given X
minutes a day (which could be varied by user if some need more time than
others, such as those with disabilities), the card goes in a slot and
minutes are counted down during use, with the user given a 5-minute
warning before being automatically signed off. Or the same thing could
be controlled by user log-in instead of a physical card.
Roger Fenton

Michele Haytko wrote:

>We have a computer lab of 16 machines.  We guarantee users a half hour
>minimum and then, once we have a waiting list, boot folks off in the
>order they signed into the lab.  Staff, volunteers, and patrons have
>complained about our waiting list "rules".  Right now, patrons who
>have been on all day, then sign-out, then sign in 2 minutes later have
>their clock restarted.  Many view this as unfair.  For example, Patron
>A signs in at 9am, then leaves at 2pm, then returns at 2:10pm.  We
>immediately get busy and the lab fills up.  The "earliest" sign-in is
>from 1pm, so Patron B (the 1pm) gets kicked off, while Patron A, who
>has used the Lab for over 5 hours gets a free pass.  We currently have
>no limit to the amount of times a patron can come into the lab.
>
>So, my questions are these:
>1.  Do you have mins/maxs on computer usage? If so, why and what are
>they; if not, why not?
>2.  How do you handle waiting lists?
>3.  Do you enforce once or twice a day usage policies (i.e. a patron
>is allowed one 1-hour session per day, etc)?  If so, how does this
>model work for you?  If not, why not?
>
>Anything else you can offer would be so very helpful.
>Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>~michele~
>
>--
>**************)0(**************
>Mrs. C. Michele Haytko
>Montgomery County-
>      Norristown Public Library
>MC-NPL Computer Lab
>1001 Powell Street
>Norristown, PA 19401
>610-278-5100 Ext. 141
>
>"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -Gandhi

Roger Fenton

Swyddog Prosiect
Adran Gwasanaethau Casgliadau
Is-adran Systemau
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Cymru

http://www.llgc.org.uk/
Ffôn: +44 (0) 1970 632800 est. 368
e-bost: roger.fenton at llgc.org.uk

Dydy'r uchod ddim o reidrwydd yn cynrychioli polisi'r LlGC

Project Officer
Department of Collection Services
Systems Section
National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3BU
Wales

http://www.llgc.org.uk/
Tel.: +44 (0) 1970 632800 ext. 368
Fax: +44 (0) 1970 632882
e-mail: roger.fenton at llgc.org.uk

The above does not necessarily represent NLW policy