[Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Wed Apr 5 15:44:55 EDT 2006

 Most of these systems you can have them set it up either way, or both!
My little soapbox:  You should *never* install such a system without
being very clear with the vendor about what service levels you want to
create, and how you want it to work for both staff and patrons.  All of
the big vendors--Pharos, Comprise (SAM), Envisionware, etc.--have
options for multiple forms of queueing and waitlisting.  It should be up
to YOU (the library staff), not the vendor.

We're in the process of installing one of these ourselves (SAM, as it
happens--we went with a different company for the last 5 years).  I have
created a small, loose committee to deal with these issues, and we are
meeting with the vendor to explain what we want and get price lists
accordingly.  We went through a RFQ (request for quote) process first,
to narrow down our choices.  Our RFQ was very specific about what we
wanted, but also allowed for the vendor to offer us 'bells and whistles'
we hadn't thought of.  We were pretty close to the mark when they quotes
came in.

Best of luck!
Louise
Louise E. Alcorn