[Web4lib] {pr01} Access/Excel/Standalone software/document to track computer usage

McMorris,Don dmcmorris at sals.edu
Thu Sep 29 21:11:36 EDT 2005

This was cross-posted to web4lib and publib; please take my apologies in advance for duplication.

I am looking for an Access/Excel or standalone application to help our staff keep track of who is on computers when.  We have 6 public access computers, and the circulation clerk and/or director acts as the "lab supervisor" (IE: keeps track of who is on the computer for X amount of time; keeps track if users have policies).

I am looking for something we can use on the supervisor's computer to assist in this tracking.  I started to make one in access, but I'm starting to get discouraged (learning access the hard way is indeed hard).

First goal is to make sure the patron has an Internet Access Policy on file.  My goal to this was to scan in a barcoded "pass" into the keyboard wedge scanner, or to search for the patrons by name.

Second is to keep track of when users get on computers, and when they are due to get off.

What I was thinking also would be nice is if a single screen had a list of the computers, with information such as users first name, time on, and scheduled time off.

I am looking for a freeware or (preferrably) open-source solution.  It will be running on a Windows XP desktop.  Preferrably would be the ability to run it simultaneously on both PCs (having to click "refresh" occasionally would be OK).  This way, 2 persons can take the supervisory role (if the circ clerk is busy, the supervisor can sign in/register people).

This will be a temporary solution.  A local company is in the process of building a server to donate to us.  This will be used to authenticate users on the client side with no staff intervention.

If anybody knows of anything like this, please let me know.  In replies, please keep intact the "{PR01}" in the subject line (this way my software makes it nice and neat by copying all the messages of the thread into a separate folder ;-) ).

Private replies are OK; I will summarize replies to both lists.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely Yours,

Donald MCMorris

------------------------
"Proudly serving the 964 residents of the Village of Salem, NY"
Donald J McMorris Jr.
Assistant Librarian
Bancroft Public Library
181 South Main St