[Web4lib] What Sort of Library is Open Source Software For?

John Creech John.Creech at cwu.EDU
Fri Sep 23 16:05:45 EDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, John Fereira wrote:

> Whether a products beats the pants off another depends a lot on the
> requirements.  I know a lot of people that don't consider MySQL to be a
> viable technology for enterprise wide database driven applications,
> especially in the area of transaction management.

Interesting.  NASA uses mySQL for mission critical apps, I seem to
remember.  I'll search that here in a minute.  I believe the Ames Research
Center moved from Oracle to mySQL in some areas degree about 5 years ago:

"MySQL Breaks Into the Data Center"
http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2003/0,4814,85900,00.html

And a more recent item:

"ZEND TECHNOLOGIES' ZEND STUDIO 4 USED FOR KEY NASA PROJECT" -

http://www.zend.com/news/zendpr.php?id=89

...fwiw.

John Creech, Systems Librarian
Brooks Library, Central Washington University