[Web4lib] web site search engines

Tito Sierra tito_sierra at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 22 15:31:31 EDT 2005

Hi Karen,

Although I am no Nutch or Lucene expert, I can relate some
information based on my own experience as a Nutch user.

Regarding the which search features are supported, you need to look
at the Lucene docs for specific answers.  Here is a very brief
overview (with links to more info):
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/features.html

Many of your questions seem directed at search query options (e.g.
boolean, wildcard, fielded search).  This documentation reveals some
of the query options supported:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

Here is a book dedicated to Lucene:
http://lucenebook.com/

For what it's worth, I think the Lucene documentation is much farther
along than the Nutch documentation.

Nutch provides a web crawler front-end to the Lucene search libraries
(where all the IR stuff happens).  In Nutch you can configure all
your crawler settings such as what URLs to crawl, how many links to
follow, etc.  Tinkering with relevance algorithms is possible at the
Lucene level.

I don't know of a zero-cost web interface for configuring Lucene-
based apps.  However, I have read that SearchBlox (http://
www.searchblox.com/) offers a product that is a web based admin
interface to Lucene.

Hope this helps.