[Web4lib] web site search engines

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Thu Sep 22 14:31:41 EDT 2005

We have looked into the Ultraseek product which Verity sells. Several months ago we wanted to get it but at that time it was cost prohibitive.  More recently Verity's website state it is FREE, for searching and indexing up to 25,000 documents. There is a download option at this location:  http://www.verity.com/products/ultraseek/index.html  Read carefully through the forums and at the implementors' website, paying particular attention to what customers say about the 25,000 document threshold:

http://www.ultraseek.com/articles/index.html

There are some nice fine-tuning features. It is used by reputable institutions, such as Johns Hopkins University. One of the aspects we particularly liked was that it was easy to set up and it can run on Linux, Solaris, or Windows. If someone has tried this out and finds that FREE is not accurate, please let me know.

>>> Mark Costa <markrcosta at gmail.com> 9/22/2005 6:50 AM >>>
I am looking for a good web site search engine that I can place on our
library's web site. It needs to be free, easy to implement, and not be
Google.
 It's not that I have a beef with Google, its just that they refuse to fix
their statistics reporting program.
 TIYA
 mc

--