[Web4lib] web site search engines

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Thu Sep 22 10:23:21 EDT 2005

Well, after the good folks at campus IT switched to Google (without
letting us know), I spent too much time trying to find a search engine
which made sense in our environment (no root access to campus server,
content distributed between the campus server and a paid ISP).  I came
across one which I quite like, indeed, feel evangelical about:  the
Fluid Dynamics Search Engine.

http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/
http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/features.html

It's very easy to install, easy to customize headers/footers and
results, and allows good control of what you index.  (Basically, it
spiders through your site, asking you to tick the boxes for any links
you want to further spider and add to the index.  You can manually
add/delete items or folders you want spidered.  Takes a little while to
set up, but it's fun.  Tick boxes!)  It indexes the whole document, but
you can fiddle with the weighting of the various meta tags (if you
reliably use them).  It doesn't index database contents, although I've
set ours to index the "show all" pages of database results, which
amounts to the same thing.  I'd never heard of it before, and we're not
exactly a huge site, but I like it.  As for price, it's shareware; he
allows you to try it for as long as you like with no conditions, but if
you like it, the righteous thing to do is send him the 40 bucks.

You're welcome to try our search (which I have stripped down to the basics):

http://www.ithaca.edu/library/search/index.php

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library