[Web4lib] Question: Integrated Library Systems whose only client is a browser

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Sep 21 15:52:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:15:45AM -0700, Karen Coyle wrote:
> For the developers, yes, that is probably the case. But the fact is that
> most libraries do not do development work on their own systems, they
> rely on vendors.
As do most libraries using open-source ILSes like Koha ;-)

> I often feel like we are comparing the purchase of a
> vendor system with running your own open source system, and those are
> not comparable. The open source "gestalt" is very do-it-yourself, while
> the library approach to systems grows out of a recent (and pretty much
> ongoing) experience of purchasing "turnkey" solutions. There are many
> libraries that don't have "root" on their own system, which is reserved
> by the vendor for maintenance and repairs (and to keep the library from
> getting itself into a mess that the vendor will then need to fix). So
> library "system staff" may not be doing programming or development
> currently, and the library may not have staff that can create applications.
So the bottom line is, you can't avoid maintenance and support costs.
What you can avoid is a $40,000 license fee. So if you're wondering
how much it will cost for your library to use an open-source ILS like
Koha, get some quotes from some proprietary vendors, and subtract the
itemized license fee ... then call me :-)

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE