[Web4lib] What's wrong with this picture?

Rancourt, Lichen Lichen.Rancourt at unh.edu
Tue Sep 20 08:40:53 EDT 2005

As a solo webmaster who just launched a new site last spring and
suffered a few scathing emails of her own, I'd like to suggest that you
choose your grievances carefully.  I'm not sure of the organization in
your institution, but if they had access to your webfiles, they clearly
have authority over your pages.  You're likely to get the best response
if you focus your complaints on the content and navigation as it applies
to your section of the site only. Don't criticize the colors chosen or
the dropdown menus, that's fundamental and university wide... they
presumably hired a designer, who put lots of thought into the
architecture, while your issues with them may be valid, they're unlikely
to change and focusing on them could sabotage more pressing concerns,
the ADA compliance, for instance.  If you have ideas about how the
library resources should be rearranged and reclassified, for instance,
tell them that.  The more specific the requests the more likely they are
to respond.  Surf around the site, the things that are 'standard' across
university sections are unlikely to get too quick a response, but the
stuff you object to that seems to be only in the library section is fair
game.

Hedge your bets and choosing your battles, is all.  Make sure criticism
is constructive rather than destructive.  Just my thoughts from the
other side.

Good luck!

Lichen Rancourt
http://www.livejournal.com/catablog/