[Web4lib] Integrated Library Systems whose only client is a browser

McMorris,Don dmcmorris at sals.edu
Fri Sep 16 21:38:43 EDT 2005

Have you considered terminal services at all?  Windows XP machines come, built in, with a terminal services client (Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection).  Other Windows operating systems can download the 3.4MB installer from the MS site.

Of course, this would require you to install terminal servers at your central location.  This can be quite an expense; in terms of necessary hardware, software licensing, and additional staff or staff training.

Our consortia has approx. 300 users, and uses 2 terminal servers.  Bear in mind, however, that the TS sessions only run the ILS software, and not any shell.  However, with only a few users, you should be able to allow users a full shell (explorer), IE, ILS, etc...  Note that in our consortia, all participating libraries do have broadband, however.

For my personal network, I have a friend who connects to my terminal server throuh a dialup ISP.  Speed wise, it is not terribly bad.  I imagine that if I hosted the dialup servers/etc., the speed would be faster, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Also, I believe MS has a Java client that can be used in the web browser to connect to the terminal servers.  I have not played with this all that much.

If you would like to preview the terminal server, just drop me a line and I will give you temporary access to one of mine (personal, not library or business).  This would allow you to get the feel down and whatnot.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

--Don

------------------------
"Proudly serving the 964 residents of the Village of Salem, NY"

Donald J McMorris Jr.
Assistant Librarian
Bancroft Public Library
181 South Main St