[Web4lib] More on the Open Content Alliance

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Oct 27 20:10:34 EDT 2005

Lars,

The DAISY Digital Talking Book format, a NISO standard, is expressly
designed to synchronize text and a spoken version of the text (not a
computer voice reading the text, but a human reading of the text), and
can allow either visual reading of or listening to the text. It should
allow software to do nifty things like:
  - spell (outloud) a word that has been read. This feature is very
important to non-sighted readers of textbooks who will want to use those
words in their own writings
 - pronounce (outloud) any word in the text for someone who is reading
the text visually, not listening to the sound version.
 - link to footnotes and graphics (which can be enlarged for those with
poor sight)
 - allow non-sighted persons to have full navigation from a table of
contents, indices, or directly to, pages. This is very hard today with
books recorded on tape or CD.

The standard is NISO Z39.86.

kc

--