[Web4lib] More on the Open Content Alliance

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Oct 27 19:08:29 EDT 2005

Roy Tennant wrote:

> FYI, more information on the Ajax-based Flipbook viewer that
> everyone seems to hate is available at
> <http://codinginparadise.org/weblog/2005/10/introducing-open-library-and-ajax.html>.

The web design of openlibrary.org is great fun and I'll try to use
it as inspiration even though it needs a lot of tuning before it
can become useful.

For example, the "listen" link that leads to "There is presently
no recording available for this book" needs to be a wiki-style
"edit" link, so that I can read the text of this page into the
system here and now.  Can you do sound uploads in web forms? HTML
clearly needs a <soundarea> tag for this.  And a <videoarea> for
sign language uploads and editing.  Can Firefox do video editing?
It should, if this is going to be the Web 2.0.

Will the sound playback be synchronized with the text, karaoke
style? What would HTML for karaoke look like? Can AJAX do that?

The web we have now is just so primitive, so 20th century.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/