[Web4lib] More on the Open Content Alliance

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Thu Oct 27 12:16:50 EDT 2005

There have been some reasonably well-done studies on what makes for a
usable e-book. Usability for e-books essentially means an electronic
book that you would read end-to-end the way you would a paper book, not
just some text where you look up a line or a paragraph so that you can
fill in a quote in your term paper. One of the main things that e-books
need is to be portable -- you have to be able to take them off the
computer screen and move them to another device. It's not that the
computer screen is so bad in these days of LCDs, but that people don't
want to sit at a desk to read. So it has to be downloadable, offline.
Then people want all of the "affordances" of real books: to dog-ear
pages, leave bookmarks, make annotations, to have stable page numbers
that can be cited. The real carrot is that e-books can have advantages
over paper books -- searching, the ability to have them read outloud
(although with a computerized voice), the ability to carry ten or twenty
of them in a palm-sized device, etc.

Although Project Gutenberg is very well-meaning, their books lack most
of the requirements for usability, which is unfortunate. Of course, so
does the format of Kahle's OCA book. I found each page to be highly
readable, more so than most HTML pages, but I would never read an entire
book using that software. Both Adobe and Microsoft have produced decent
e-book software, but they are proprietary formats. I would love to see
well-done, full-fledged, open source e-book software developed so that
we could encourage the reading of full-length electronic texts. The
DAISY format standard is a beginning, but I have yet to encounter a good
reader for that format. Creating a good reader would be a great OCA
project. Much of the information needed to do so already exists in
standards and studies.
kc

Drew, Bill wrote:

>I'm also curious as to why Project Gutenberg is not a part of the Open
>Content Alliance.  Pockets not deep enough?  It already has the content
>in a very readable and useful form, but then it doesn't look like a
>"real" book and the Alliance seems hung up on looks instead of content.
>Stuck on the package and not the content again.
>
>Wilfred (Bill) Drew
>E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
>AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net