[Web4lib] Looking for an open source PHP/MySQL database--SUMMARY

David P. Moore mooredp at email.uah.edu
Wed Oct 26 15:51:19 EDT 2005

Thanks to all who replied to me about my question (below). We are
researching these suggestions now. Thanks!

Original question:
"I am interesting in finding an open source database solution that is
PHP/MySQL based and has the following features:
1. Pubic web interface for searching and web admin interface for records
maintenance. 2. Ability to restrict certain pieces of data to be viewable
only to certain users 3. Z39.50 compliant (not crucial)
We have records that are currently in MS Access format that we want to dump
into such a database. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

SUGGESTIONS:
1. DbVisualizer
2. DBDesigner
3. http://www.koha.org/
4. http://obiblio.sourceforge.net/
5. http://www.phpmylibrary.org/
6. zSQLgate (http://sql.z3950.org/)
7. Ruby on Rails" or "TurboGears" for python
8. Emilda would also do the trick (probably): http://www.emilda.org/

9. Have you looked at PHPMyAdmin?  It's really a tool more for
administering databases than for applying business rules to the data,
but you can view and edit data with it.  Its available under the GPL, I
believe.  I've not used it personally, but I know its fairly widely
used, and people seem to like it. http://www.phpmyadmin.net

10. Internet Scout's CWIS: http://scout.wisc.edu/Projects/CWIS/

11. I've used a number of tools for administrating MySQL databases.  Even
if the patron interface is PHP based there is no particular reason
that it needs a PHP based administration tool.  Of the gui interfaces
that I've used I particularly like DbVisualizer
(http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/) .  It not only provides an admin
interface for a MySQL database it supports other database vendors as
well.  I've got database connections to about 8 different systems
with MySQL databases (a few which have mutliple database instances),
two systems running Oracle databases (including the Voyager catalog),
and a couple running Postgresql.  I can access any of the databases
from the single client, create and save queries, display the database
schema graphically, create bar graphs/pie charts of the results and
much more.   The other GUI admin tool I use is for MySQL databases
DbDesigner (http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/).  It provides much
of the same functionality as DbVisualizer but also has a nice
database design interface.  Working from a graphical representation
of the database tables I can add/modify/delete tables or columns to
existing tables and it provides a round-trip editing of the actual
database.  Other than the better data modeling of DbDesigner   I
prefer DbVisualizer. The basic version of DbVisualizer is free but a more
complete version
can be purchased (it's quite reasonable).  DBDesigner is free.

END

David P. Moore
Electronic Resources/Business Librarian
M. Louis Salmon Library