[Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:52:04 EDT 2005

This thread came up at Internet Librarian last night.  Stephen Abram
quoted a stat that books suggested for acquisition by patrons tend to
circulate at 7 times the rate of books selected by librarians.

Of course that begs the old "popularity does not equal quality"
concern, but Google became a $100 billion company based on a PageRank
algorithm weighted heavily towards popularity.

I'm curious if public library collections policies differ from
research library policies in this regard.  Even if subject matter
experts denounce a book as crackpot, it seems a public library might
still add it to its collection to meet patron demand.  And a research
library might add it so that experts can read what they are up
against.

Hmmm... If you buy "the" best book on a subject and it never
circulates, did you do the right thing?

/rich