[Web4lib] Re: [Publib] Computer Lab Entrance

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 26 14:04:18 EDT 2005

Our library holds library cards or other forms of ID (driver's license) for uses besides computers.  Borrowers are supposed to sign the back of the card, so it's easy to make sure you're returning it to the owner by simply asking for their name.  If the signature is illegible (I swear, some would make great doctors or athletes because their signiture is so bad <g>) we ask if it's the person's card before we give it back.

We hold ID at the reference desk while people use certain in-demand reference books, and we can usually see the card identifying the item which is clipped to the ID so we know the ID belongs to the person who borrowed the materials.

If we're dealing with something like a computer workstation, study/conference room, microform reader, or AV equipment use, we take book pockets (remember those?), number them to conform with the workstation/room/reader/viewing or listening equipment, and put the user's card in the corresponding pocket.  This way, even if a shift changes between the time one of these facilities is used and the end of the user's time, we can identify the appropriate ID.

HTH!

Your friendly CyberGoddess and Councilor-at-large,
Sue Kamm
Inglewood/Los Angeles, CA
Truest of the Blue, Los Angeles Dodgers Think Blue Week 2000
Visit my home page:
http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
email:  suekamm [at] mindspring.com
"What I wonder is, where are all the guys who just like to play baseball?"
--Wes Parker, former Los Angeles Dodgers infielder