[Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?

Bonnie Tijerina bonnie.tijerina at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:40:10 EDT 2005

This on-demand purchasing is happening in many academic libraries that I
know of and there's literature out there.
I first heard about it 2 years ago being done at Purdue University,
University of WI and Thomas Crane Public Library.
http://www.irandoc.ac.ir/data/E_J/vol3/acquisition.pdf

This article give cost-effectiveness of such a program:
Patron-focused services in three US libraries: collaborative *interlibrary
loan*, *collection** **development* and acquisitions
Allen, Megan; Debus-Lopez, Karl E; Ward, Suzanne M; Wray, Tanner

This program is going at NC State University where I helped set it up
between 3 departments: Acquisitions, ILL and Collection Management.

We had certain criteria and if the request met that criteria, we would make
the purchase either through Amazon, bn.com <http://bn.com> or our book
dealer and we would treat it like a rush order. ILL barcoded it and a simple
record was put in the catalog until it was returned.