[Web4lib] RE: Looking for an open source PHP/MySQL database...a clarification

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Oct 25 21:28:25 EDT 2005

I'd highly recommend Zebra: http://indexdata.dk/zebra.

You can index any structured record format and then spawn a
Z39.50 server to make the database searchable. In a couple of
months we'll have a Perl-ZOOM module to replace Net::Z3950 and
then you'll be able to do database management as well (adding,
editing records, etc.) all from a simple Perl API.

Zebra (along with most of Index Data's software) is 100% free
software so you're free to use it at no charge. Of course, if
ou'd like help setting it up I'm sure Index Data would be glad
to be of assistance :-).

Take it from me, Zebra is a much better way of handling structured
textual data than a relational database like MySQL (I'm the
current Release Manager for Koha and we're in the process of
moving the textual parts of our database engine over to Zebra
from MySQL).

Cheers,
--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE