[Web4lib] RE: Looking for an open source PHP/MySQL database...a clarification

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 25 18:45:57 EDT 2005

At 06:15 PM 10/25/2005, Jonathan V.Williams wrote:
>David,
>
>Have you looked at PHPMyAdmin?  It's really a tool more for
>administering databases than for applying business rules to the
>data, but you can view and edit data with it.  Its available under
>the GPL, I believe.  I've not used it personally, but I know its
>fairly widely used, and people seem to like it.
>
>http://www.phpmyadmin.net

I've used a number of tools for administrating MySQL databases.  Even
if the patron interface is PHP based there is no particular reason
that it needs a PHP based administration tool.  Of the gui interfaces
that I've used I particularly like DbVisualizer
(http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/) .  It not only provides an admin
interface for a MySQL database it supports other database vendors as
well.  I've got database connections to about 8 different systems
with MySQL databases (a few which have mutliple database instances),
two systems running Oracle databases (including the Voyager catalog),
and a couple running Postgresql.  I can access any of the databases
from the single client, create and save queries, display the database
schema graphically, create bar graphs/pie charts of the results and
much more.   The other GUI admin tool I use is for MySQL databases
DbDesigner (http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/).  It provides much
of the same functionality as DbVisualizer but also has a nice
database design interface.  Working from a graphical representation
of the database tables I can add/modify/delete tables or columns to
existing tables and it provides a round-trip editing of the actual
database.  Other than the better data modeling of DbDesigner   I
prefer DbVisualizer.

The basic version of DbVisualizer is free but a more complete version
can be purchased (it's quite reasonable).  DBDesigner is free.

John Fereira
jaf30 at cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY