[Web4lib] Consumer Group Raises Concerns about Google Print Library

Nicholas Finke nfinke1 at cinci.rr.com
Tue Oct 25 16:28:18 EDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> NCL wrote:
>
>> "In a letter to the chairmen of the House and Senate Judiciary
>> subcommittees overseeing intellectual property issues, the nation's
>> oldest consumer advocacy group...warned...that the project, which
>> will
>> resume scanning on November 1, 2005 poses dramatic threats to the
>> principle of copyrights; fairness to authors; and cultural
>> selectivity,
>> exclusion, and censorship."
>>

> While I have plenty of reservations about a big corporation and its
> plan to become "the Internet," I see anything that dissolves
> intellectual property and moves our society to the eventual
> abolition of IP as a good thing. The National Consumers League is
> misguided and misinformed when it states that Google Print will
> hurt consumers and authors. Projects like Google Print can only
> help "consumers" by making available more intelelctual content
> online, in the same way a big public library makes a wealth of
> material availabe to the community.

What good does it do an author to have a wider exposure of his/her
work if the work can be freely copied without any payment?  As I see
it, the primary problem is not with the existence of intellectual
property rights, in this case copyright, but with the ridiculously
long term of protection.  In a world where practically instantaneous
communication is possible and copying requires only a keystroke we
have made copyright terms perpetual, at least in practice.  From
being a modest protection so that authors can benefit from initial
publication, copyright now lasts for over two lifetimes (author's
life + 70 years).  Any reasonable incentive to create wouldn't have
to be longer than 20 years or so.

Nicholas D. Finke
446 Hillcrest Drive
Wyoming, Ohio 45215