[Web4lib] Consumer Group Raises Concerns about Google

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 25 15:40:35 EDT 2005

"...The remaining three concerns (selectivity, exclusion, and censorship)
are a bit different, and require a little more exploration to find out
what
NCL means. Further on in the PR, they say, "To the extent that Google
finds itself drawing lines for inclusion or exclusion based even
indirectly on content ... it makes itself a censor of our history and
culture."..."

My problem with these kinds of statements from the NCL is that it
perpetuates the viewpoint that if something can't be found in Google, it
doesn't exist. We all realize that Google is not the end-all to be-all and
a great deal of content exists online that never makes its way into
Google's indexes. Yet, based on NCL's view of the issue, exclusion or
omission from Google is akin to a bookburning.

If we were discussing the Library of Congress, I might share these
concerns. But last time I checked, Google is not (yet) a public utility or
institution. I hardly think it worthy of Congressional hearings to explore
questions that seem to have more to do with an argument over semantics
between proponents and detractors of the project than to any public
benefit that may possibly be involved.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library