[Web4lib] Looking for an open source PHP/MySQL database

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:56:27 EDT 2005

At 11:41 AM 10/25/2005, David P. Moore wrote:
>I am interesting in finding an open source database solution that is
>PHP/MySQL based and has the following features:
>
>1. Pubic web interface for searching and web admin interface for records
>maintenance.
>2. Ability to restrict certain pieces of data to be viewable only to certain
>users
>3. Z39.50 compliant (not crucial)
>
>We have records that are currently in MS Access format that we want to dump
>into such a database. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You're really talking about two different pieces of a system.  For
administrative access to a MySQL database I'd recommend using something
like DbVisualizer or DBDesigner for migrating your data into a MySQL
database.  The tools can also assist in setting up access rights for
specific groups to specific tables.

I'm not sure where Z39.50 fits in.  For Z39.50 support you really need
something that translates Z39.50 queries into SQL and then returns the
result set in the expected format.

I do very little with PHP (I'm a Java programmer) so perhaps someone else
can recommend a PHP solution for the patron interface.