[Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?

Elizabeth mckenty library.lisle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:46:09 EDT 2005

At my former place of work (a very large public library), that the same
email ILL request would have resulted in a similar cancellation. However, if
the email had come in via our "Ask A Librarian" service, Lisa would have
received a response from the Microfilm Center that she could have the
article on microfilm scanned and sent to her as an attachment for $0.50 per
page, with a $1.00 minimum, and be invoiced. It would not be instantaneous
service, but in a matter of days. She would have gotten that same
information if she telephoned or had written a letter (!), but if she walked
in, she would have to do the copying (no scanning) herself. Go figure. I do
know some of the reasons this craziness developed, but it is still
unacceptable.

>From past experience in different libraries, I am guessing that this kind of
structure of different services depending on entrance point is rife. It
makes no sense, provides poor customer service, and should be counter to
policy.

Libraries must start looking hard at document delivery, and make it logical
and sensible, or our patrons will flock to other resources, and who can
blame them?

Lisle McKenty

--
Lisle (rhymes with weasel)
"...me figuraba el Paraíso bajo la especie de una biblioteca" --Jorge Borges