[Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Oct 24 11:10:30 EDT 2005

"... which leads to the stupid situation that a patron is likely to get
> better service from a less well-stocked library.  Or by going via an
> intermediate library to request the material from the local library."

Exactly! From my point of view, I would have been better off if they didnt have it!  After all, all I "really" care about is how easy it is to get the information and materials i need. I dont care where it came from.  Why not send an email saying "this item available at Library X, or for 5.95 we will scan and email it to you". To me, that would be service!

">I recently heard a presentation from Scott Anderson at Millersville
>University (PA).  They are providing a service where they provide (and
>strongly encourage) delivery of electronic copies of locally held
>microforms to their patrons.  They've been studying the cost issues and
>decided that it was cheaper to (not to mention better service) provide this
>service than to staff a service point and constantly be servicing microform
reading/printing machines."

That makes good business sense to me and would be a way to distinguish yourself in terms of service to the busy community. Also, this would make the fact that my library has such vast holdings much more relevant and important to me.

Lisa Pons-Haitz

Webmaster
University Libraries
University of Cincinnati