[Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform, Waiting for the Wrong Train?

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Oct 24 08:20:33 EDT 2005

I will de-lurk to throw in a recent experience that might illustrate this point...

As part of a non-work related research project with a deadline, I found a link to an article I needed- from 1910. It wasnt available from my library, but through the consortium we belong to. Wonderful, I thought.

I got the citation, filled out the appropriate web forms, and waited. Turns out I didnt have to wait long- the next day, I received an email cancelling my request.

Apparently, one of our libraries had microfilm that contained the article, so I was left with the choice of going to that library and looking through microfilm for what I wanted, or...nothing. I was annoyed, and frankly didnt have at least 2 hours,I figured, to try and find the article in some  archived microfilm.

So, less you doubt the articles contention that people will pay for something they might be able to get for free with a little work, I would have paid for the article, but I wasnt given the choice.

I wondered if this could be a revenue stream for the libraries, offering this service. Is that possible, or is labor the issue?

Lisa Pons
University Libraries Webmaster

________________________________

From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org on behalf of K.G. Schneider
Sent: Sun 10/23/2005 1:53 PM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] Libraries: Standing at the Wrong Platform,Waiting for the Wrong Train?

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/erm05610.pdf

I had a number of "clicks" during this essay. The part that went
bing-bing-bing:

"It is no longer unusual to hear about people who prefer to buy a
book online and have it delivered right to their door, instead of walking
across campus to check out the same book from the campus library. Although
these 'Amazoners' may still be the exception rather than the rule, in
today's world of expedited electronic tracking and worldwide delivery, it
seems only natural that we should begin to expect direct delivery of print
material from anywhere, to anywhere. Yet libraries have been slow to react
to these changes. Cumbersome interlibrary loan procedures are still the
norm."

At Library A, I can pay $7.50 per every interlibrary loan and for this
privilege hope I might see the item in two weeks. As a consumer, rather than
do this, I exercise two other options: I use Library B in the next town, as
it offers remote access to a two-state consortium with rapid delivery to a
nearby library, or I use Amazon, where I can buy quality used copies of what
I need usually for under $5 (and presumably sell them again if I don't
scribble in them). If I lived in an area without a Library B option, Amazon
would be my logical choice.

That's just one small example of how this essay hurts... so good.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com