[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Oct 21 13:00:16 EDT 2005

Gillian,

One of my favorite examples of an unreliable site is the "Lake Michigan
Whale Watching". Unlike the examples you listed below, this site goes out
of its way to appear to be legit. In fact, it was convincing enough that
it made its way into an educational publication in an article "'Thar She
Blows!' In Michigan?" that discussed the whale watching in Lake Michigan,
all based on this web site. As you expect, this caused much embarassment
for the publication and a lot of laughs around Michigan. It would provide
a good contrast with bad examples to show that even sites that appear to
be on the up-and-up can still be completely unreliable.

Here's the site and a short discussion on the article that followed:

http://www.geocities.com/lakemichiganwhales/

http://www.classroomhelp.com/lessons/web/WHALES/retraction.htm

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician