[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Oct 20 18:14:08 EDT 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:

> Actually I always wondered who named him the accessibility and
> usability god.  There are many better sources in LibraryLand
> with much more practical experience and common sense.

Who is this AUTHOR, where did he come from, and why?  Of course,
as a librarian, you already looked him up in your catalog and
right-clicked on his name to get the biography from Wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Nielsen_%28usability_consultant%29

In the mid 1990s Jakob Nielsen's books were the first to address
usability on the web.  There were already books on designing good
user interfaces for text and window systems (Unix/X, Mac or
Microsoft), but none for the web.

You don't hear his name half as often now as in 1999.  Web
usability is perhaps not so much of an issue anymore, since the
most fundamental mistakes are less and less common.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)