[Web4lib] effect of e-use on circulation [was: Authority + Wikipedia]

Marion Sumerianlibrarian marionsumerianlibrarian at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 10:02:28 EDT 2005

The page you provided a link for doesn't explain what Baen books does because, as the title of the
page says, it's "About Baen Books: Who We Are, and What This Is." In other words, it's a statement
about the *philosophy* behind what they do at Baen Books, not meant to be an explication of the
"what," but rather the "why." And, by the way, not unexpectedly it's very much written in the
meandering, self-obsessed story-line style of the literature they publish.

All of this strikes me as immediately obvious, although I've never visited the site before.
Accusing the Baen Books publisher/editor/web designer of bad practice is not any fairer than if
someone pointed out that *your* email message was stupid because it doesn't explain what *you* do.

What does Baen Books actually do? The answer is clear enough from their homepage. It doesn't need
any further explanation. What is neat, however, is that the way you approach the variety of
offerings they make is entirely up to you. For example, you might like to jump on a book right
away, or you may prefer to dilly-dally all day long in your rubber duckies in the rain with a
shopping bag full of pee-oh-tee (actually, it seems the Baen Books boyz prefer grog).

In any case, let the market (which is variously defined in a free web-world) decide.

Thanks very much for your post and, if you've read *this* far, thanks for allowing me toot my
horn, MS