[Web4lib] 301 Redirects question

garyp at itd.umd.edu garyp at itd.umd.edu
Wed Oct 12 17:08:56 EDT 2005

Another option (if you are using apache) is mod_rewrite which uses regular
expressions to rewrite URL's.  It may seem a little daunting at first but
if you have to do some heavy duty url rewriting it is a very valuable
tool.  I've included the 2.0 link below, but if you are running 1.3, just
substitute 1.3 in the url.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod_rewrite.html

Here's the header from the doc page:

`The great thing about mod_rewrite is it gives you all the configurability
and flexibility of Sendmail. The downside to mod_rewrite is that it gives
you all the configurability and flexibility of Sendmail.''
            -- Brian Behlendorf
            Apache Group

`` Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned
cool voodoo, but still voodoo. ''
            -- Brian Moore
            bem at news.cmc.net

Welcome to mod_rewrite, the Swiss Army Knife of URL manipulation!

This module uses a rule-based rewriting engine (based on a
regular-expression parser) to rewrite requested URLs on the fly. It
supports an unlimited number of rules and an unlimited number of attached
rule conditions for each rule to provide a really flexible and powerful
URL manipulation mechanism. The URL manipulations can depend on various
tests, for instance server variables, environment variables, HTTP headers,
time stamps and even external database lookups in various formats can be
used to achieve a really granular URL matching.

(end snippet)

Gary B. Phillips               email:          garyp at itd.umd.edu
Web Systems Manager            phone:               301 405 9025
ITD                            mobile phone:        301 318 6902