[Web4lib] Authority + Wikipedia

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 12 16:56:01 EDT 2005

But how do we decide what is important and authoritative? With the
information explosion it is impossible for anyone to say what is truly
important outside of a very narrow area of expertise. Many of the standards
we have used for evaluating authority seem to be breaking down or perhaps
weren't that authoritative to begin with. Is the judgment of the Wikipedia
community necessarily worse than that of an encyclopedia publisher whose
primary job is to sell encyclopedias?  And then there's the problem if you
do decide to accept the authority of a community (e.g., you feel lucky at
Googling), that there are a lot of questions about which the community has
not arrived at a collective opinion, they just don't come up often enough.

A few examples of dubious authority:

Peer review. Every year there are cases where peer reviewed journals have
accepted papers that turn out to contain falsified results. Plus of course
the one a year or two ago where a social sciences journal accepted an
article that was intentionally gobbledygook.

Reputation of the publisher.  Well, read any reviewing journal.  Though my
favorite was 10-12 years ago when there was a big flap because St. Martin's
Press was going to publish a book by the Holocaust denier, David Irving.
The real shock wasn't that they intended to publish it, it was that their
history editor was completely unaware that Irving is a controversial figure.

And then a recent example. Brockhaus, who produce what is probably the most
respected encyclopedia in the German-speaking world, commissioned an article
on the new Pope. The author went out and researched the topic thoroughly.
Problem was that his research included the German version of Wikipedia and
he lifted some passages without attribution.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu