[Web4lib] Uses of Social Software in Libraries?

Heather Ebey weblibrarian at sent.com
Tue Oct 11 00:11:55 EDT 2005

Hello all,
I am writing an article about the use of social software in
libraries. Though I have done research, I need a few quotations from
librarians or information professionals who have implemented or are
planning to implement some social software application as part of
their library's Web presence.

If you are willing to be quoted in the article, which I am writing
for the SJSU SLIS LISSTEN "The Call Number" <http://
slisgroups.sjsu.edu/lissten/index.php?content=callnumber.htm>, please
let me know. My deadline is this Thursday morning, 10/13.

I am particularly interested in answers to the following questions
(one or all).  If I am not asking the right questions, please feel
free to let me know.

1. Do you see an increase in the use of social software in libraries?
If so, why do you think this is so? If not, do you think that it is
just a fad, or that librarians have not grasped its potential?

2. Which social software applications do you think are the most
important to libraries? Does the kind of library--public, academic,
special--matter?

3. Do you have a blog or wiki or both? What kinds of information do
you post to which type of application?

4. How long have you made it available to your patrons? Do your
patrons express anything positive or negative about it?

5. Do you think this is something that MLIS students should learn about?

Thank you for your consideration. I apologize for posting this here
if this is not the right place to ask these questions.

Heather Ebey
weblibrarian at sent.com,
http://librarianway.com
SJSU SLIS MLIS candidate (May 2006)