[Web4lib] {pr02} OSS modules for SIP Authentication

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Sat Oct 8 00:09:29 EDT 2005

Hi Don,

I have one example for SIP that can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=46209&package_id=114242

under "sipTransform". I was totally dependent on this guide to figure out
how to use SIP:

http://www.aneg-dv.de/allegro/sip2/sip2_developers_guide.pdf

SIP is called a protocol but it is really a description of a terminal
session. For example, this kind of  interaction:

        send carriage return
        wait for "login:"
        send a User ID
        wait for "Password:"

is the kind of programming that SIP entails . My application required
integration with Cocoon so there's a lot of SAX handling in the code, but
almost anything that can script a telnet session could be used. NCIP and
probably any other protocol created in the last decade would likely be far
preferable to SIP, yet I know there's not always other options out there
for authentication.

art
---
Art Rhyno
Systems Librarian, University of Windsor
http://librarycog.uwindsor.ca