[Web4lib] Request for Comments on RSS Tutorial

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Oct 6 13:02:22 EDT 2005

John,

The tutorial is great--very clean, smooth and presenting information
from the point of view of users with a range of information literacy
skills.  The quiz needs a bit of work.  The last question said that it
was multiple choice, but didn't let me select multiple choices.  "Review
the quiz" also didn't move past the first question.  I also just think
the quiz needs to focus on user POV--questions like "you can use an RSS
feed to do X ... (T/F)"   rather than "test your memory" questions.  I
find frequently with tutorials, the tutorial itself is really
user-focused, but the interactive quiz section falls back on simple
recall testing rather than being used to reinforce how the information
skill or technology would benefit the user's workflow. Your quiz is a
mix of both, but really it should focus on reinforcing how the user will
make use of RSS, particularly since it is the only interactive piece
(other than paging through the components) and thus your only chance to
reinforce the lesson through user learning by engagement.

Anyway, great job, right up until the quiz!

Grace Agnew
Rutgers University Libraries

John Iliff wrote:

> Here at PALINET we are experimenting with using Flash for providing
> instruction as well as developing training in using RSS and other
> Internet feed technology. We would very much appreciate the input of
> the web4lib community on this pilot offering (linked below). All
> comments are appreciated, and our skin is not thin, so have at it (but
> to keep traffic here low, please send comments directly to me and I
> will summarize).
>
>     See:  http://www.palinet.org/rss/toti/tsstutorial.htm
>
>     Thanks-  John Iliff in Philadelphia (where they invented the U.S.A.)

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers University Libraries
47 Davidson Road Piscataway, NJ 08854
732/445-5908
gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu

/Better research, better papers, better grades! Try Searchpath
<http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu>, our new online information
literacy tutorial./
http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu