[Web4lib] intranets, wikis and blogs, oh my!

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 30 18:22:40 EST 2005

At 01:23 PM 11/30/2005, Robin wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have been asked (or tasked) by my librarians
>to set up an intranet, upon (within?) which to
>experiment with wiki or blog software, or both,
>in order to have a place where staff can share
>information, update each other on changes as
>they occur, etc. I have no direct experience
>with any of the above, so would appreciate
>feedback from anyone who's done some of this.
>Recommendations of good products, or
>condemnations of bad ones, would be helpful, as
>would pointers to any good concise reference
>material showing me how to go about doing this.
>It is not required to be up and running until al least the end of the week ☺

About a year ago I installed a copy
of  Confluence
(http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence), a
wiki/blog communication tool for use by those of
in our library involved in the development of new
projects and to collaboratively document some old
ones.  I because aware of Confluence through an
open source project I've been a part of for the
past several years.  The product has been so
successful I've had to recruit someone in our
operations group to help manage user accounts,
group, and answer questions about it.  We bought
the enterprise edition (500 users) and consider it well worth it.