[Web4lib] MARC strictness

Walt.Crawford at rlg.org Walt.Crawford at rlg.org
Tue Nov 29 13:43:42 EST 2005

Those are really interesting comments. I don't find much to disagree with.
Yes, I guess a spec and a template are pretty much the same thing. (Ours is
probably one of the more elaborate...)

As for the lack of a secure/always-working way to parse first name from
last name in x00 fields (100, 700, etc.): You get no disagreement here.
(Usually "take the portion of the $a subfield that follows the first comma
and precedes a second comma, if present, and treat that as the first name"
will work. Sometimes it won't, and when it doesn't, it really looks stupid.
Albeit not as stupid as most non-bibliographic databases, which cheerfully
assume that initial articles are part of the sorting string. My MusicMatch
"database" at home has a lot of stuff in the range beginning "Th")

Then there's 773$g, which for those of us who actually store data in
MARC-equivalent form and support OpenURL and bibliography-software export
is a particular bane: "Let's smoosh the year, volume, issue, and pagination
for an article into one subfield with no real rules for how it is to be
entered." Humans can usually separate out the pieces pretty well. Writing a
concise algorithm to do so by computer with 100% accuracy no matter how
mediocre the source data: Priceless. Also hopeless.

I believe libraries could *use* a richer metadata system than MARC. I just
wonder whether it's likely to happen...

Walt Crawford
wcc at rlg.org, 650-691-2227
-------------------------------------
Typically reachable:
Monday & Wednesday 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
Friday 7-11 a.m.
--------------------------------------

web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org wrote on 11/29/2005 10:25:50 AM:

> Walt.Crawford at rlg.org wrote:
>
> >Just quick notes...
> >
> >Relating to another posting: ISBD punctuation has been the bane of
people
> >handling MARC records for a very long time; you have to design display
> >rules to stay out of its way, which sometimes interferes with making
data
> >look right. I remember the justification for ISBD punctuation being "so
you
> >could determine the bibliographic elements when the cataloging is in a
> >language you don't read"--you know, because there's always a
> >space-semicolon-space after this element, etc. That always struck me as
> >vaguely improbable scenario: "I don't know what language that book is
in,
> >but there's the statement of responsibility!" (But hey, I'm definitely
not
> >a cataloger.)
> >

> I had heard the "so you could OCR the catalogue card" version.
>
> >As for "us all" using templates and/or having multiple people to design
> >MARC displays: Generalizations are usually tricky. The display
> >specifications for Eureka databases (including the RLG Union Catalog)
have