[Web4lib] Use of varying feed/alert protocols

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 28 16:03:50 EST 2005

All,

We're starting our exploration of setting up a new content alert
service for our Digital Library Repository.  The question isn't
whether to do so, but using which protocol(s)?

The history of the development is interesting.  Check out the
"History' and "Incompatibilities" sections of the wikipedia page
dealing with the different:

         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rss and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28standard%29

We'll be generating our feed content in a home-grown programmatic way
from already existing metadata in XML form, using XSLT.  We're not
looking for tools, nor are we constrained by any.

I came across this interesting page showing a rough distribution of
RSS versus Atom:

         http://www.syndic8.com/stats.php?Section=feeds#FeedLang

Trying to get a handle on what various aggregator tools support is
challenging, because of the sheer number of tools:

         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_aggregators

So, a little informal research seems in order.  I'd like to hear from
those of you who provide feeds/alerts -- do you provide RSS (which
version[s]), Atom, or both?

Thanks in advance,
Leslie

Leslie Johnston