[Web4lib] MARC strictness

Thomale, J j.thomale at ttu.edu
Mon Nov 28 11:50:18 EST 2005

Walt, thanks for the clarification. I didn't really mean to suggest that
the MARC standard itself imposed any field length limitations (even
though that *is* basically what I said), but rather, as you pointed out,
that most systems around the time that MARC was first used imposed such
limitations, which, from your comments, sound like they really weren't
that limiting. Oh well. That's just how it was explained to me. :-)

BTW, reading back over Lars' original posting, I apologize for the
anglo-centric bent of my response. I spoke in terms of AACR2 because
that's all I know. I have no idea what cataloging rules are used in
Sweden.

Jason Thomale