[Web4lib] Google Print gets new name

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Nov 24 05:42:02 EST 2005

Richard Wiggins wrote:

> Today, for this crowd, that is all understandable, parsable. For
> the prototypical school girl in Carthage, Tennessee searching
> the Google Books Search collection, is the book from 1899 in
> full text superior to the book from 2005 in snippet?

Is availability important?  Yes it is.  This problem is a lot
older than Google, and really has nothing to do with Google.
Or maybe it has everything to do with Google and the Internet,
since they both make (some) stuff more available, so that it
overshadows other stuff.

If your school library has the Bible but not the Quran, what
religion will the children learn?  How can you help?  You can
donate Bibles (or the Quran) to your school library.  People make
available the works they think are important.

I digitize Scandinavian literature.  There are 38 million Poles
and 9 million Swedes, but far more Swedish than Polish literature
on the web.  I win, they lose.

Books (newspapers, magazines, music albums, movies) from 2005 are
in print and have reviews on Amazon.com and get mentioned in
blogs.  They are highly available.  Books from 1875 are out of
copyright and can be digitized and made available in full.  Works
from 1955 or 1985 are not so fortunate, because they are in
copyright but mostly out of print.  This is a problem if we think
1955 and 1985 are worth remembering.

A prototypical school girl wrote to Project Runeberg the other day
and asked if the Bible was in copyright (our scanned 1917 edition
is not) and if she could modernize some words for a schoolwork she
was preparing. To her, "the Bible" was apparently the one she
found on our site (runeberg.org/bibeln).  Her question shows a
number of misconceptions, but is that our problem? Our answer was
that it's not under copyright and she can do what she wants to the
text.  Whether altering the source text is appropriate for a
schoolwork, ought to be a question for her teacher (not for us!),
but does the teacher even understand that this could be a problem?
Does the teacher care that the pupil is not quoting from the new
official (Swedish) Bible translation from 2000?  It too is
available for free online (www.bibeln.se), but the text isn't
searchable by Google because of how that website was designed.
That is not my problem, since I like the 1917 translation better.
I win again.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/