[Web4lib] What's in a name (Google Book Search, that is)?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Nov 23 15:56:23 EST 2005

> All the Google bashing that takes place on this list sometimes makes me
> think folks are scared that it will replace a person. Did you bash Yahoo
> this much when it was the search engine of choice?

What Google bashing DOES take place on this list? I see intelligent
discussion, tips for usage, reports of its activities, speculations about
its future, worries about Google and its affect on libraries, positive
comparisons with your typically evil ILS, explorations of its strengths and
limitations, and the occasional "well, I sometimes search something else."
Then there are some critiques that are valid, and are nearly always framed
in debate-like back-and-forths. Did I miss a thread where we drubbed Google?

Your comment about Yahoo does remind me of one thing: all things change.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com