[Web4lib] Google Print gets new name

Suzanne M. Gray sgray at umich.edu
Wed Nov 23 13:58:46 EST 2005

Hmmmm, but you are still searching within books, regardless of whether the
result set may contain different amounts of immediately available content.
And you are exposed to books that you might not have ever known to exist.

It brings to mind many subscription databases that include a mix of
citation only and full text items.

Limiting searches would seem to be key here.  This reminds me a bit of the
challenge of books held in remote storage.  Many of our users would rather
limit their search to the library where they are, rather than have to
travel or request an item from another facility.  So I am sure that many
would want to limit to items immediately available online, whether that
gets them the best possible information or not.  For most patrons, it
seems good enough is good enough for them, but often not for us.

The problem of helping our patrons become better information consumers is
not going to be affected in any way by the name of this product, imho.
However, regardless of name, its availability will get someone in Carthage
TN immediate access to more information than they ever would have known
existed.  "School girls" and we former "school girls" are a cagey bunch,
so don't worry about us.  I think folks will be able to figure it out
rather quickly.

Suzanne Gray
Web Services Manager
University Library